Dr. Chiong Meng Soon
Dr Chiong Meng Soon is an esteemed sustainability expert, consultant, trainer and researcher with over 6 years of experience in the field of sustainable engineering. He is a senior lecturer and research fellow in the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. His expertise lies in methodologies and technologies that contribute to reducing environmental footprints in energy, manufacturing, and end-of-life treatment sectors.
Dr Chiong has extensive experience in Carbon Footprinting and Life Cycle Assessment for businesses and industries. With a background in mechanical engineering and a specialization in low environmental footprint methodologies and technologies, he offers businesses tailored solutions and comprehensive training courses, empowering them to proactively manage their environmental footprint and successfully achieve their sustainability goals.
His expertise spans across various sectors, including energy, manufacturing, construction, transportation, and smelting industries. Dr Chiong has worked with numerous organizations in Malaysia and Japan on various Carbon Footprint and Life Cycle Assessment projects, including the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, the Malaysian Plastics Manufacturers Association, ESGright – a GRI certified training partner for Asia and Pacific, and People Prowess – a training provider for unique courses and workshop.
At the same time, he is also a member of the advisory panel of the National Negotiating Committee (NNC) for the Third Session of Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee (INC-3) to develop an international legally binding instrument on plastic pollution, including in the marine environment, lead by the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources, Malaysia.
With his wealth of experience and expertise, Dr Chiong brings a unique perspective to his work as a trainer and consultant. He is dedicated to helping businesses achieve their sustainability goals through practical and effective solutions.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering
- BEng in Mechanical Engineering
- Advisory panel of the National Negotiating Committee (NNC) for The Third Session of Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee (INC-3) to Develop an International Legally Binding Instrument on Plastic Pollution, Including in The Marine Environment.
- Life Cycle Assessment of the Malaysian plastics industry, in collaboration with Malaysian Plastics Manufacturers Association.
- Overseas Life Cycle Inventory dataset development for IDEA database, in collaboration with National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Japan.
- Providing GHG accounting consultancy and training for various Malaysian industries and government agencies.